Sunday 30 August 2009

Using A Greenhouse As A Temporary Chicken House Or Scratching Shed

An Alternative Use For Greenhouses...


Chickens often enjoy fresh vegetables as a treat but you could also find your greenhouse can serve a double purpose as a chicken coop like the chickens in the video below have :-)




This video shows chickens enjoying a dustbath in the middle of a cold December when the snow on the ground had prevented the chickens from bathing or foraging comfortably outside : "We give them free access to the 1250 square foot greenhouse, where the soil is warm and soft even in the winter. They love it."


If building your own greenhouse is something you have considered then you might be interested in this downloadable greenhouses plans book which contains detailed step-by-step instructions for five different greenhouses. The greenhouses plans include a Victorian style greenhouse and plans for how to build a large hoop / arch greenhouse as well as several other designs.



victorian greenhouses plans

Victorian Style Greenhouse

arch greenhouses plans
Affordable PVC hoop Greenhouse


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and have 9 chickens in a wooden shed inside my wood shed. We get a lot of snow for 6 months in the winter and the chickens are cooped up for the whole time. I feel bad but there is not much I can do about it. Last year they did fine, but there were only 5 last year, I am worried that the recent addition of Miss Henny's brood of 4 will cramp the coop this winter. I live below the poverty level and cannot afford to add on to the coop so it is what it is. I wish I could build them a small greenhouse. I like this idea.